Post Question
Home / Legal / Documentation / What is the procedure to transfer property from father to son?
Q.

What is the procedure to transfer property from father to son?

Comment

Answers

7 2021-08-16T18:55:42+00:00
The father can transfer the property by executing a registered gift deed. Now, let’s talk about the procedure to transfer property from father to son.
  • Under the Transfer of Property Act provisions, the transfer of property as a gift will have to be backed by a registered document or instrument, signed by the father (or on his behalf) and it needs to be attested by minimum 2 eyewitnesses.
  • This means that you can’t simply make a decision of gifting property without doing the legal formalities if you want to make the transaction legally binding.
  • You are required to register the gift deed in the office of the sub-registrar, following the due procedure.
  • After that, the registrar ensures that suitable stamp duty has been affixed on the document/gift deed when you show it during the registration.
  • The amount of registration charges and stamp duty payable, for a gift deed, are usually the same as the sales deed.
Alternatively, the father can transfer the property on the basis of will. In this option, the father writes a will in the son’s name. The son gets the property after the father’s death. I hope now you know how father to son property transfer is done!
4 2022-07-11T10:03:24+00:00
Being a law student, I have come across many case studies where people ask how to transfer property from father to son. We have studied these cases carefully and I can help you out with your concern. A father can transfer his property to his son by the following ways: Need legal expertise for smoother property transfer, check out NoBroker Legal Services A gift deed
  • There is one option of initiating a deed as a gift of immovable property from father to son.
  • The transfer of a property as a gift, has to be backed by a registered instrument or document, signed by or on behalf of the person gifting the property.
  • The gift deed from father to son should also be attested by at least two eyewitnesses.
  • A percentage of the property value has to be paid as the stamp duty on gift deed registrations in a state as given in the table.
State where gift deed is registered Stamp duty on transfer of property from father to son
UP 2%
Haryana 5%
Delhi 4%
Maharashtra 3%
Gujarat 3.5%
Rajasthan 6%
Madhya Pradesh 5%
Andhra Pradesh 2%
Himachal Pradesh 6%
Tamil Nadu 7%
Karnataka 5%
A will
  • A transfer of any property can also be made by way of execution of a will but the vesting of the property will take effect after the death of the person executing the will. 
  • As per the prevalent laws, a will is neither required to be stamped, nor is it required to be registered.
  • A will is the cheapest mode of transferring your property, to the persons whom you wish to.
I hope I was able to resolve your concerns on how to transfer property from father to son. Let me know if you still have any doubts. Read more: Can gift deed be revoked Can gift deed be challenged in court
Hi Friend, In 2006, my father spent Rs. 6 lakh on a Navi Mumbai apartment. He is now 67 and retired, receiving a sum of Rs. 2.25 lakh annual pension. We were interested in learning the regulations governing the property transfer from father to son because my father wishes to put this same apartment in my name. I went to a property lawyer to acquire his opinion. Check out the NoBroker legal assistance service for any legal queries regarding property buying and selling As a result, he advised that immovable property transfer to son may be regarded as a gift. According to the Transfer of Property Act, a registered instrument (gift deed) signed by the person gifting the property must be used to effectuate the transfer of real estate as a gift.  The amount of stamp duty due on a gift deed is the same as it would be for a typical sale. Gifts from father to son are included under the exception for some relatives, nevertheless. Up to May 16, 2017, the cost of the stamp duty in Maharashtra on such a transaction was capped at Rs 200. The stamp duty now charged will be 3% of the transaction's market value. I have gone through Apurva’s answer about the procedure for transfer of property from father to son. I completely agree with her as my lawyer recommended the same thing. The gifting of property must be supported by a registered instrument or document that is signed by or on behalf of the donor. The gift deed from a father to a son must also be witnessed by two or more people. I would like to conclude my discussion here about the property transfer from father to son. I hope this helps:) Read More: What is the course of action if a gift deed is forged? Can a father gift deed to his only son without the consent of his daughters and wife?
3 2022-11-23T07:26:51+00:00
Hi - When a father is trying to do a gift deed to his two children, do the children need to be physically present and sign in that document? or can father do it himself, along with 2 witnesses? What other documents will be needed for the process? Thanks.
The process for how to transfer land from father to son involves a legal process. The exact procedure can vary based on the type of property (movable or immovable) and the specific state's laws. Here's a general overview of the property transfer from father to son Indian law process:
  • If the father wants to gift property he can use a gift deed. It is a legal document that transfers ownership of property from one person to another without any consideration.
  •  If the transfer involves a sale, a sale deed is used. It is a legal document that transfers ownership of property with monetary consideration.
  • If the father wants to transfer the property upon his death, he can do so by creating a will.
  • The deed or will needs to be drafted. It should include details of the property, names of the parties involved, and the terms and conditions of the transfer.
  • Both gift deeds and sale deeds need to be executed on non-judicial stamp paper.
  • The deed should be registered at the local sub-registrar's office.
  • You should pay stamp duty and registration fees at the time of registration.  
  • After the transfer is registered, you should update the property records to reflect the new owner's name.
  • Be aware that gift tax or capital gains tax can be applicable on such transfers.
Remember that laws and procedures can vary from state to state in India, so it's recommended to seek a legal expert for property transfer from father to son. This should help you know how to transfer property from father to son before death. Need help with property documentation and verification? Contact legal experts here Read more: How to transfer property from husband to wife after death? How to Transfer Property from Father to Son: Procedure
0 2024-01-02T12:48:31+00:00
Well, the transfer of land from father to son can vary based on the nature of the property (self-acquired or ancestral) and the applicable personal laws (Hindu or Muslim).: Hindu Law: The father can execute a gift deed, transferring the property to the son during his lifetime. The father can also include the son as a beneficiary in his will, specifying the property's distribution upon his death. If the property is ancestral, a partition deed can be executed to divide the property among legal heirs, including the son. The Hindu Succession Act governs the distribution of ancestral property. If a partition deed is not executed, the property is distributed as per the legal heirs' rights under the Act. Muslim Law: The father can gift the property to the son during his lifetime by executing a valid gift deed. The father can also include the son as a beneficiary in his will. In the case of ancestral property, the distribution is governed by Sharia principles. It is advisable to obtain the consent of all legal heirs, especially if the property is ancestral, to avoid potential disputes. Consult with a legal professional specializing in Hindu or Muslim family law to understand the specific requirements and procedures. Make sure that all relevant documents, such as gift deeds, wills, or partition deeds, are prepared and executed correctly. Registration of the document is crucial. I hope this will help you with how to transfer father property to son. Draft Sale Agreement with the Help of Senior Advocates at NoBroker Read more Can son claim father's property when father is alive?  

Leave an answer

You must login or register to add a new answer .

Recently Published Questions

Flat 25% off on Home Painting
Flat 25% on Painting | Top Quality Paints | Professional Tools | Verified Partners
X
Home Cleaning Starting ₹359 Only
Revive Your Space with Expert Cleaning!
X
Enjoy hassle-free on time movement of your household goods.
X
Buy Your Dream Home with NoBroker.com & Enjoy Exclusive Benefits on Home Loan & Interior Services
X
Fastest Sanction in 7 Days from 15+ Banks | Max Funding | No Hidden Charges
X
Get upto ₹10 Lacs Instantly in your bank account | Instant Disbursal |
X